Hullo pal..how's it gon!

take me Home
Home
Main
Index
Memory
Lane
Glesca
Green
Schools Transport Tribute tae oor ForcesForces Songs GP SHOP MessageBoard
Streets Cinemas Boys BrigadeBB Poems Photos Guestbook
Churches Pals Stories Tales Adverts  Celtic  Rangers

.

- Masonic Lodges  

No.103 No.114 No.116 No.275 No.347 .
Stevenson
Street
No.354 No.1432 No.1230 No.1361 No.1557

   

 

Lodge Burnside No.1361


   
            
Grand Lodge of Scotland
                                             ~
 Provincial Grand Lodge of  
Renfrewshire East

                                             ~
Lodge Burnside 1361
Past Masters Board





 

syllabus  

page1

1962-86

1987

1988-99

2000-03 2004-11
facebook 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 
   



 

  

Lodge Burnside No.1361

Lodge Burnside No.1361 
have held their meetings in various halls
 in the Rutherglen district. They currently meet in the Masonic Hall
 in Queen Street, Rutherglen, G72.
1st Tuesday's Sept to April, visitors welcome
(note January meeting is moved to 3rd Tuesday)

( photograph of Rutherglen RA No.116 temple )

Lodge Burnside 1361
Charter Granted, 2nd August 1928   
Lodge Erected, 23rd October 1928                   [syllabus]

 
extract from the ......
Historical sketch of the formation and erection of
Lodge Burnside 1361 by Robert J Somerside PM 441

T
he growth of a strictly rural district from small beginnings to that of a surburban residential area is always an interesting feature in the development of a community; and Burnside has been no exception to the rule.
As new inhabitants commingle and fraternsie with each other, their social and communal interests soon begin to be a prominent feature, and among the various elements which arise and develop there are none more impressive or important than that of the great fraternity of Freemasonr
y.

    In this respect it soon became evident in the rapidly expanding suburb of Burnside that a strong Masonic Lodge would be a most desirable asset to the district.
It only required an outstanding and vigorous personality to give the necessary lead and the local craftsmen were fortunate in finding such a man in the person of  Dr. Alexander Jamieson who took the first steps to form what in a very short time became Lodge Burnside 1361.
       
On 6th December 1927 Bro.Dr.Jamieson entered into communication with the Grand Secretary stating that he considered it the time opportune for the formation of a Lodge for the practice of Freemasonry in the Burnside district, at the same time requesting Grand Secretary to forward the necessary petition forms.   In a very short space of time Bro. Dr. Jamieson finding that many craftsmen in the neighbourhood were desirous of participating in the formation of the proposed new Lodge, approached Bros. F.W. Christall and E.W.L.Noel with a view to their co-operation in forming a special committee to deal with applications.
  .

So encouraging was the work of this small committee that a meeting of those interested was called for the 17th Jan.1928. This was held in the Carlton Restaurant, Glasgow.  ....... It was unanimously resolved that a Lodge be founded and that it be known as Lodge Burnside.   

The office bearers for the year were duly elected and the various fees agreed upon. It is of special interest to note that at the first meeting of Founder Members, on the motion of Bro. Dr. Jamieson, seconded by Bro. James A. Wilson PM 873 and 1241, was unanimously adopted :-
                
"That no spirituous liquors be used in any communication or at any function held under
                    the auspices of the Lodge or at any meeting, whether for labour or refreshment"

       The next meeting was held on 7th February 1928 in the Grand Hotel, Charing Cross, Glasgow, when it was intimated that the petition had been signed by 110 members. At this meeting also a Halls committee was appointed to enquire into and report on the provision of suitable accommodation for the regular meetings of the proposed Lodge.

       At the meeting on 6th March 1928, also held in the Grand Hotel, it was reported that the roll of founder members had increased to 164. After considering the report of the Halls committee as to hall accommodation it was agreed that the offer of Lodge Rutherglen Royal Arch No.116 with regard to their premises in Queen Street, Rutherglen be accepted.

.

      A further stage of progress was reported on 3rd April 1928 when the founders again met in the Grand Hotel. The list of Founder Members had then increased to 231. So encouraging were various reports that consideration was given to the advisability of securing a suitable site for a permanent home........ a building fund was inaugurated.
    
      On 1st May 1928 the founders again met in the Grand Hotel. The roll of Founder Members having been closed it was reported that 273 signatures were now on the petition and these embraced 40 Past Masters, 8 neighbouring Provosts, 1 Lord Provost, several Knights and a large number of distinguished brethren.
The date of Consecration and Erection was fixed for 23rd October 1928 and the chairman informed the meeting that
The Right Hon. The Lord Blythswood, The Grand Master Mason of Scotland, had intimated that he would come in person.

 Consideration was next given to the question of the matriculation of appropriate Arms and Bro. Major Norman McKean gave an interesting address on Heraldry with particular reference to Masonry.
The Major also undertook to look after the interests of the proposed Lodge in respect of any Arms which might be adopted.    

.

       At the meeting on 29th May 1928, final arrangements were made for the Consecration Ceremony and the dinner which was to follow. The founders agreed to present medallions bearing the arms of the proposed Lodge Burnside  to  Bro. Lord Blythswood,
Bro. Thomas Hart, Provincial Grand Master Depute and Bro.Major McKean.
 
At this meeting it was reported that the negotiations with regard to The Tower, Burnside, had been completed and that the property and policies had been purchased.            
The Charter was granted on 2nd August 1928, and the final meeting of Founder Members was held on 2nd October


The Tower, Burnside

Stonelaw Tower is believed to have been built in the 1500's. It was bought by Lodge Burnside in 1927 and sold in the 1960's, then sadly demolished to make way for the Stonelaw Towers flats and a petrol station off Stonelaw Road in Burnside.

..

Stonelaw Towers & Petrol Station                         16 Feb.2009

.













 

 

  Quite fitting then that
Lodge Burnside has
Stonelaw Tower
on the mark token

Lodge Burnside No.1361 Past Masters    ( compiled by Bro. Jim Campbell PM )               see Lodge Burnside on facebook
                  ( FM   Denotes Founder Member;    *  Denotes Deceased;    #  Denotes Picture in Past Masters Picture Folder in facebook)

1928/29    Dr Alexander Jamieson * FM 103#
1929/30    Frederick W Christall * FM 1341 #
1930/31    Ernest W L Noel * FM 114 #
1931/32    Andrew F Douglas * 114
1932/33    Thomas Royle * FM 1230
1933/34    William S Paterson * 180
1934/35    James M Annand * FM 116 #
1935/36    John Watt Jnr * FM 617 #
1936/37    Joseph C Wylie * FM 406 #
1937/38    James D McDonald * FM 683 #
1938/39    John W Stewart * FM 128
1939/40    James S Gibb *
1940/41    Elliot Gow *
1941/42    William Lear Bird * FM 553 #
1942/43    Robert A Coates * #
1943/44    James S Gowans *
1944/45    Ernest S Howard * FM 73
1945/46    James M Rae * FM 347
1946/47    John K Anderson *
1947/48    John C Cullen *
1948/49    Robert S Jeffrey *
1949/50    Harry Hughes * #
1950/51    Thomas Black *
1951/52    James Johnstone * 25th Anniversary
1952/53    Robert A Jack *
1953/54    David McClement *
1954/55    John A Cooke *
1955/56    Thomas B Crichton *
1956/57    Edward W Stewart *
1957/58    William H Hopper * #
1958/59    Alexander Thomson * FM 347

1959/60    Douglas G Campbell * #
1960/61    Peter Brown *
1961/62    John Jeffrey *
1962/63    Archibald M McGown #
1963/64    Alexander C Crossan *
1964/65    Matthew Sweeney * #
1965/66    David McClement, PM *
1966/67    Douglas A Thomson
1967/68    John N Ross *
1968/69    Ronald J Shimmon
1969/70    John J Cunningham *
1970/71    John Yuile * #
1971/72    Robert G McArthur * #
1972/73    H Stuart McGown #
1973/74    John W Grant #
1974/75    Andrew W Menzies * 
1975/76    Stephen Apicella #
1976/77    John J McMillan
1977/78    Thomas Bell     50th Anniversary
1978/79    James W Morrison * #
1979/80    John George * #
1980/81    Thomas Cunningham #
1981/82    Robert C Thompson * #
1982/83    Douglas J Wiggins #
1983/84    Alasdair D Campbell #
1984/85    James Gibson Turnbull #
1985/86    Robert H Laurie, 306 #
1986/87    William Irvine
1987/88    James Young #
1988/89    Robert Cumming #
1989/90    Leslie Allison #

1990/91    James Young, PM #
1991/92    Neil McNeil #
1992/93    Neil McNeil #
1993/94    Adrian McGrath #
1994/95    Ronald F Westwater #
1995/96    William J Currie #
1996/97    James McCulloch, 1282 #
1997/98    Robert Shaw, 441 #
1998/99    John D Sutherland #
1999/00    Samuel Ralston #
2000/01    Stuart James Renfrew #
2001/02    Stuart James Renfrew, PM #
2002/03    James T Campbell # 75th Anniversary
2003/04    James T Campbell, PM #
2004/05    H Stuart McGown, PM #
2005/06    James T Campbell, PM #
2006/07    Ian Robertson; PM  347 #
2007/08    Ian Robertson, PM; 347 #
2008/09    Paul Linich #
2009/10    Paul Linich, PM #
2010/11    Ewan McIntyre Mackie PM; 347 #
2011/12    Paul Linich, PM #
2012/13    William Evans McArthur
#
2013/14    James Andrew Richardson#
2014/15   
James Andrew Richardson
2015/16   
James Andrew Richardson
2016/17
2017/18
2018/19
2019/20

 

Lodge Burnside No.1361 - Syllabus 2015-16  (subject to change)
1st Tuesday's Sept to April,  7.30pm visitors welcome
(note January meeting is moved to 3rd Tuesday & Installation is 7pm start)

Evening Date Meeting At  By
Tues 01-Dec-15 Installation
Burnside No.1361 1361
Tues 19-Jan-16 FC
Burnside No.1361 Rutherglen RA 116
Tues 02-Feb-16 MMM
Burnside No.1361 St.John Op.347
Thurs
11 Feb 16
MM
Kirkhill 1230 1361
Friday
12 Feb 16
Burns Supper
Burnside No.1361 1361
Tues 01 Mar 16
MM
Burnside No.1361 Hamilton Kilwinning No.7
Friday
11 Mar 16
FC
St.John Op.347 1361
Tues
05 Apr 16
EA & PGL
Burnside No.1361 1361
Saturday
21 May 16
EA
Burnside No.1361 1361 & MacBride Lodges

RECESS



Tues 06 Sep 16
FC
Burnside No.1361 1361
Wed
28 Sep 16
FC
Hamilton KW 7
1361
Tues 04 Oct 16
MM
Burnside No.1361 Kirkhill 1230
Tues 01 Nov 16
AGM & Elect
Burnside No.1361 1361
Sunday
05 Nov 16
Divine Service
Rutherglen & Wardlaw West Church 6pm
Tues 06 Dec 16
Installation
Burnside No.1361 1361


see Lodge Burnside on facebook

Lodge Burnside No.1361

page1 1962-86 1987 1988-99 2000-03 2004-11
    2012-13 2013-14  2014-15 2015-16
   


 

.

 

.

top 

Church Index

Orange Lodge


Masonic : Stevenson St 103 114 116 275  
                347 354  
              1230 1361 1432 1557

.

This is an unofficial, non-profit, & non-commercial, website, intended for social history use

 

wemWEB

  welcome to  GlescaPals / GlesgaPals  remember to sign the Guestbook 
   
         
creator, owner & webmaister  Aug.2002 
 
copyright, no image or writings can be reproduced or copied without the owners consent