The 73rd Highlanders were
raised by John MacKenzie, Lord Macleod, as the first clan Regiment in
1777 in response to the outbreak of the American War of Independence.
In 1786 the Regiment was renumbered as the 71st Highlanders and wore
the MacKenzie tartan kilt. In 1787 war in India necessitated the
raising of more Regiments for foreign service and the 74th
Highlanders were formed in that year in the City of Glasgow.
At the Cardwell reforms of 1881 the 71st and the 74th were linked as
the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Highland Light Infantry (as
the 71st had been known since 1809).
In 1923 the Regiment
officially became known as the ‘City of Glasgow Regiment’.
(City of Glasgow) Battalion
August 1914 : at Garnethill, Glasgow. Part of HLI Brigade in Lowland
Moved on mobilisation to Dunfermline.
11 May 1915 : formation became 157th Brigade in 52nd (Lowland) Division.
26 May 1915 : sailed from Devonport for Gallipoli, going via Egypt
(5-28 June) and Mudros (1 July),
landing at Cape Helles on 3 July
8 January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Mudros and arrived Egypt
11 April 1918 : Division left Egypt, battalion arrived Marseilles 17
April for service on Western Front.
|1/6th (City of Glasgow)
August 1914 : at Yorkshill Street, Glasgow. Record same as 1/5th Bn.
|1/7th (Blythswood) Battalion
August 1914 : at Bridgeton, Glasgow. Record same as 1/5th Bn.
|On the 11th
of May 1915 the formation was renamed 157th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland)
Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow, c1914.
(Blythswood) Battalion Highland Light Infantry
at their headquarters in Bridgeton at 92 Main Street .
| This drill-hall was built at 92 Main Street in1902 costing £12,000.
Fabulous photo capturing the excitement of the occasion, sweethearts
and wives, smiling, excited.
See the woman holding the baby in the
tartan shawl - something the Glasgow woman did right into the
Sadly as we now know many of our brave boys never returned from GALLIPOLI - EGYPT - FRANCE - BELGIUM - MESOPOTAMIA leaving many wives and sweethearts broken hearted.
Some of my
GlescaPals friends and relatives will be in this photo....
Main Street, circa August 1914.
1/7th (Blythswood) Battalion Highland Light Infantry leaving
The Battalion served with the 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division at
Gallipoli and in Egypt, Palestine, France and Belgium during the First
In 1920 a Celtic cross was erected on
Glasgow Green in memory of the members of the battalion who fell in the
First World War.
The Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow) Regiment
on the homecoming parade in 1919 entering into Sauchiehall Street at Charing Cross.
Included in its numbers are members of the 7th (Blythswood) Battalion
whose Headquarters were at 69 Main Street, Bridgeton from where so many brave men
set-off to take up arms in the Great War which began exactly 100 years ago.
Over 400 men of the 7th battalion were killed in Gallipoli, France and Flanders during the Great War 1914-18.
They and their fallen comrades from other wars will never be forgotten.