|Dale Street is named after David Dale the socialist, industrialist & philathropist, and founder of New Lanark Mills.
This is Dale Street......incredible isn't it?
Photograph taken from Old Dalmarnock Road looking east down Dale Street to
Dalmarnock Road at Dale Street how
it looked in the sixties
Dale Street is the first street on the right and just to the right of
those tenements was the
Church of Scotland, Bridgeton Parish church, minister at this time was
The church was erected in Dale Street in 1836, the first established church in
One hundred and fifty years later in 1986 it was demolished after the building
All that you see in this picture has now gone.........
|Hugh Macintosh (1902) states that the original + Bridgeton Cross of the village actually lay at the junction of Dale Street and Reid Street,
The first established church in Bridgeton was‘Bridgeton Parish Church’which
was in Dale Street at the south junction of Old Dalmarnock Road. It was
erected in 1836 and due to the building becoming unsafe was demolished
in 1986. The first minister of the church was Rev. Patrick Fairbairn (1805-1874)
The church name changed over the years: started of as Bridgeton Parish
Church then with an amalgamation became Bridgeton & Newhall Church.
A further amalgamation with London Road St. Clement’s church took place
and it was decided to revert back to the original name of Bridgeton
the church in those early days was Hussey’s Spinning Mill at the corner
where ran a burn. There Hussey made his own gas, and allowed all the
refuse and tar to run into the burn, and it was locally named the Tarry
Ditch. (A history of Bridgeton & Dalmarnock)
At No.16-20 Dale Street was Campbell’s Pawnbroker Office
More Dale Street photos