Parkhead Railway Station 1952
Parkhead Railway Station served
the East-end of Glasgow for much of the last century.
Opening in the early 1900's it was renamed Parkhead Stadium in 1952
because of its close
proximity to Celtic's ground.
The station was situated in a cutting overlooked by what is now called
Whitby Street but which
was then known as Winston Street in honour of Winston Churchill.
In July 1914 King George V, Queen Mary and their entourage disembarked
here for a royal visit
to Beardmore's Parkhead Works.
The station was a victim of Beeching's rail reform and closed in the late
In 1969 it was filled in and landscaped.