This suspension bridge was built 1854-1855 to replace the busy
ferry conveying workers from Bridgeton and Calton to Hutchesontown. It is a
wrought iron structure with a single span of 67 metres.
It was repaired in 1871 and 1905 with major structural repairs and
refurbishment undertaken between 1996 - 98
by Glasgow City Council, Roads and Transportation ( Partially funded
by the European Union )