| Muslin Street
A painting cc1890 by John Quinton Pringle of Muslin
Industry has arrived in Bridgeton but the tenements still dominate.
Bethany Hall & Hood Memorial Church
old Muslin Street looking east towards Dalmarnock Road.
new Muslin Street looking east towards Dalmarnock Road
the Bethany Hall & Church would be in front of the wee blue car. .
taken 12 July 2007
| Muslin Street looking east towards Dalmarnock Road , photo taken from
the Main Street .
John Glover & Sons, Brassfounders, 16, Muslin Street, Bridgeton.—
To make a successful casting in brass is a more delicate process
than ordinary metal casting. The mixing or smelting of the alloys
—copper and zinc and tin—itself is a process requiring great care and
skill. To be a successful brassfounder in all its branches means the
acquirement of more than ordinary trade intelligence. The workmanship
turned out by the Messrs. Glover & Sons shows to fine advantage in
this trade, and which is amply verified in their far-reaching
The firm was established by a Mr. Thomas Wright in 1830, in the
premises still retained, and acquired by the present owners now under
notice in 1861. The partners are Mr. John Glover senior and Mr. John
Glover junior. The foundry is composed of a large shed, measuring 100
feet by 45 feet, with an adjoining building to the front, 90 feet by 35
feet, which is utilised as offices and showrooms. These showrooms are
elaborately stocked with all manner of brass and bronze goods, brass
fittings, gasaliers, &c.
The firm have a very large trade in these branches, but their first
and staple business is brassfounding. They are one of the few makers of
an iron and brass alloy which is much used for pinnion and pulley
wheels, being malleable and able to be bent, twisted, or hammered out
without breaking, suitable for brass bolt and other purposes where
strain is required.
One of their special productions is the Excelsior light feed and
gauge glass lubricator (Granroth’s patent). To all users of steam
motive power this valuable invention is specially recommended as the
simplest, most compact, efficient, and cheapest in the market. It is
the only gauge lubricator in which the oil passes down the centre of
cup to steampipe or valve casing. It gives out a regular supply of oil,
and can be regulated to supply one drop in one or a few minutes, more
or less as may be required, thereby effecting a great saving in oil as
well as wear and tear of engine by constant lubrication, and securing
an increase of power, as the friction diminishes. Being constructed on
scientific principles, it entirely dispenses with all outward
objectionable pipes or fittings ; and one trial, which the patentee
respectfully solicits, will at once prove its vast superiority over all
others hitherto introduced into the market.
The Messrs. Glover & Sons employ thirty workmen and apprentices
; they undertake contracts for all kinds of operative and stationary
brasswork, shaft-bearings, &c., and every description of engine and
machine brass fittings and fixtures ; and the material, finish, and
general thoroughness of their productions are widely known, and have
secured them a first-class patronage.
Muslin Street looking east towards Dalmarnock Road , photo taken from
the Main Street July 2007.
Close No.3 Muslin St and the Pen - this block is at the
junction of the Main St.
Muslin Street page1